Il prigioniero neozelandese - Memoriale di guerra

dal vecchio sito...

In July 1942 I was serving with the New Zeland Division in the Western Desert. At this time we were trying to hold Rommels advance into Egypt. On July 17th 1942 I was captured by troops of the 21st Panzer Division and 190th Light Infantry Division. I was taken to El Daba Prison Of War Camp and then to Mersa Matruh Prison Of War Camp where I was handed over the Italian Command. I was taken from Matruh to Tobruk and from Tobruk to Benghazi. From Benghazi I was shipped to Italy via Greece and the Corinth Canal. We landed at Taranto and from here were taken to Altamura near Bari. After spending several very uncomfortable months there we were sent by train to Turturano where we stayed until Christmas. From there we were sent to a labour camp called Acqua Fredda Campo 78/1. Our parent camp being Campo 78 Sulmona.
At the time of the Italian Capitulation the guards on our camp were very excited and uncertain about what to do. Eight of us took advantage of their uncertainty and decided to try and make our way back to our parent Camp Sulmona. To get to Sulmona we had to go down into the valley below our camp, and cross a range of hills. Sulmona was on the other side. I left the party in the valley and crossed the range. When I reached a position close to the camp wire I could see that the Germans had taken control of the camp. I went back over the range to where my party was waiting. We decided to make our way via the hills to Foggia where our troops were and after taking a general line of direction we set off. We always seemed to be crossing valleys and climbing hills and at one stage we crossed a part of the Appennin Range. To do this we were well above the snow line and up there we met goat herd tenderers. No matter where we went we always met Italians in unespected places and it was impossible to go far without meeting someone.
One morning while we were standing on the slopes of a hill we were approached by two civilians who spoke very good English. They talked with us for a while and agreed that our plan to keep to the hills and head for Foggia was a good one. Across the valley we could see a hill at the top of which was a large Cross. Around the hill was a road leading to a village at he top. Down in the valley was a stream. We followed along the banks of the stream flowing in the valley to keep out of sight of the road in case German transport used it.
Nearing the road we saw a horse and cart driven by an Italian Civilian whom I asked in my very broken Italian if there were Germans in the village. Having told me the village was clear I asked him for directions to get to Foggia and also food for my party. At first I think he took us for Germans but after I had been talking to him for awhile he wanted to know if I was English. After telling him we were all New Zelanders he took us to his house, which was situated below the village, and gave us food. This was the house of the families Fiadino. There were theree Brothers all of whom were married and had familied. I do not remember their Christian names.
Later one of the Brothers took us up to the village of Capracotta to the house of Mrs. Pia Jaselli. Mrs. Jaselli, after having listened to our plans suggested we should stay in the area and wait for our troops whom at that time, were progressing rapidly up Italy. After having walked up and down the mountains of Italy for the last week we thought this a very good idea indeed.
In the afternoon we returned to the home of the Fiadino Brothers and stayed the night. The next day they took us into the bush (bosco) behind their home. After about an hour's walk we came to a Church built into the side of a cliff. I think this was called the Church of Saint Luke. Behind the Church, also built into the cliff, were very primitive living quarters. A little below it was built a new Church of concrete blocks and in a valley below we could see a village. This was the village of Saint Angelo I think.
We lived in the small living quarters behind the Church at night and in the day time we used to explore the bush to find our way about. Visits to the village of Saint Angelo were made to keep a check on any German movements in that area and twice a week we went to Mrs. Jaselli for news and supplies. I met some of Mrs jaselli's friends here, one of whom was a school teacher.
Two of my party decided to stay at the home of the Fiadino Brothers and help on their farm. Some days late one of the Fiadino Brothers came up to the Church of Saint Luke and told us we had been reported to the Germans by someone in Saint Angelo. We packed up our few possessions and went with him to a shepherds stone hut on the slopes of the mountain above the Fiadino house. During the day we would go up into the bush and at dusk the Fiadino Women bought us a hot meal which was the best food I have ever tasted. I can never say how grateful we were for the food these women gave us.
After a few days in our new position I went back to the Church area to have a look around. Where we had been staying we found German newspapers which showed a German Patrol had been sent up to find us.
From this time on we saw increasing German activity and the Germans were starting to collect in ever increasing numbers in this area. Fortunately we still were able to go to Mrs. Jaselli who kept us informed of the progress of the British Forces and who also gave us food. Culverts were being blown up and light anti aircraft guns were being sited.
At this time it was decided it would be safer for all concerned if the two chaps working on the Fiadino Farm were to rejoin us. This they did and from then until we were recaptured the Fiadino Women supplied us with a hot meal each night.
One night around about dusk I went down into Capracotta and as usual made my way to Mrs. Jaselli's house under which it was a garage. A door from the garage led up into the house this being the route we normally took when visiting. On arrival I found Mrs. Jaselli waiting at the garage door. She told me that the Germans had occupied the village and that she had the German Officers billited in her house. This was the last time we went freely to her home. However, she still sent us food and cigars supplied by the Germans.
Returning to the shepherd's hut I warned the rest of the party and told them to be very careful so as not to be seen in daylight by Germans or Facisty sympathisers. During the day we went up into the bush and kept a watenful eye on the road alogn which German transport was now running.
Our troops were getting much closer and we could now hear the shelling and bombing.
One afternoon while up in the bush one of the Fiadino Brothers brought to us a party of British Soldiers and an American Airman and also a Sicilian guide. This guide was a cripple. He had a club foot. We were told this guide was going to lead the other party through the German lines to the British Troops. At this stage we had no reason to sustect him so we arranged that after he had led this party to safety he was to come back for us and lead us through the German lines for a payment of 10 lire each. They stayed with us in the hut that night and left to go through the German line, at Agnone, the following day. All we could do now was wait.
As usual, two or three nights later, we went down the mountain for our hot meal and then to our hut for the night. We were all asleep by about 8 o'clock because being unable to have a light or fire we used to go to bed at dark.
We were awakened by shots being fired into the hut and having no option other than going through the hut door because the hut only had one door and no window. Outside was a German Patrol and with them one of the Fiadino Brothers. Later we discovered that the club-footed Sicilian had taken the German Patrol to the Fiadino house and the Germans had forced the brother to take them to our hide out. It seems this cripple was paid by the Germans to go out collecting groups or escaped Prisoners of War. He posed as a guide and led the groups to a German Field Headquarters.
The three Fiadino Brothers were badly treated by the Germans and with us were taken to Capracotta to the German Headquarters which was the house of Mrs. Jaselli. We were held over night at this house by the Germans. Next morning we were loaded onto German transport and were loaded off on the the side of the road. The eldest of the Fiadino Brothers was a bit slow in getting down off the truck so a German gave him a push sending him over the edge of the road and down a hill. The Italian kept his balance and kept on running although the Germans fired everything they had at him but he kept on going and later we heard that he got safely away.
The other Fiadino Brothers were separated from us and we were locked up in another building in which we found the other party that had left us accompanied by the cripple.
From here we were sent via Prison of War Camps in Chieti and Aquila. We were put on a train here and went on to Germany via the Brenner Pass to a Prisoner Of War Camp at Moosburg Stalag 7A 8th November 1943.
We eventually heard that the two Fiadino Brothers who remained prisoners of the Germans were tried and shot.

Francis "Bill" Parker

Nel luglio del 1942 prestavo servizio con la Divisione Nuova Zelanda nella parte ovest del Deserto. Allora cercavamo di contenere l'avanzata di Rommel in Egitto. Il 17 luglio 1942 sono stato preso dalle truppe della 21^ Panzer Division e della 190^ Divisione di Fanteria Leggera. Fui portato alla prigione del Campo di El Daba e successivamente alla prigione del Campo di Mersa Matruh dove sono stato consegnato al Comando Italiano. Fui portato da Matruh a Tobruk e da Tobruk a Benghazi. A Benghazi sono stato imbarcato per l'Italia attraverso la Grecia ed il Canale di Corinto. Attraccammo a Taranto e da lì fummo portati ad Altamura vicino Bari. Dopo aver passato lì diversi mesi tra i disagi fummo mandati in treno a Turturano dove siamo rimasti fino a Natale. Da lì fummo mandati ad un Campo di Lavoro chiamato Campo Acqua Fredda 78/1. Il campo da cui dipendevamo era il Campo 78 di Sulmona.
Al momento dell'Armistizio le guardie del nostro campo erano molto in ansia e incerte sul da farsi. Otto di noi approfittarono della loro incertezza e decisero di cercare di arrivare al Campo di Sulmona. Per arrivare a Sulmona dovevamo scendere nella vallata al di sotto del nostro campo ed attraversare una catena di alture. Sulmona era dall'altra parte. Lasciai i compagni nella vallata e attraversai le alture. Quando raggiunsi una posizione vicina alla recinzione del campo potei vedere che i Tedeschi avevano preso il controllo del campo. Tornai indietro dai miei compagni che aspettavano. Decidemmo di dirigerci, attraverso le alture, verso Foggia dove si trovavano le nostre truppe e dopo esserci messi d'accordo sul da farsi ci muovemmo. Ci sembrava sempre di attraversare valli e scalare alture ed in una sola tappa attraversammo una parte della Catena degli Appennini. Nel fare ciò eravamo ben al di sopra dell'altitudine alla quale abitualmente nevica e lì su incontrammo dei guardiani di greggi di capre.
Dovunque andassimo incontravamo sempre italiani in posti inaspettati ed era impossibile andare lontano senza incontrare qualcuno.
Una mattina mentre eravamo sul pendio di un'altura fummo avvicinati da due civili che parlavano un ottimo inglese. Chiacchierarono con noi per un po' ed erano d'accordo sul nostro proposito di dirigerci verso Foggia tenendoci sulle alture. Al di là della valle potevamo vedere un'altura sulla cui sommità c'era una grande Croce. Attorno all'altura c'era una strada che portava ad un paese in cima. Giu nella valle c'era un ruscello. Proseguimmo sulle rive del ruscello nella valle per tenerci lontano dalla strada nel caso in cui i Tedeschi la usassero.
Vicino la strada vedemmo un cavallo ed un carretto con un civile Italiano a cui chiesi nel mio italiano davvero stentato se ci fossero i Tedeschi nel paese. Avendomi detto di no gli chiesi istruzioni per raggiungere Foggia ed anche cibo per il nostro gruppo. All'inizio, credo, ci prese per Tedeschi ma dopo avergli parlato un po' volle sapere se ero Inglese. Dopo avergli detto che eravamo tutti Neozelandesi ci portò a casa sua sotto il paese e ci diede del cibo. Questa era la casa dei fratelli Fiadino. C'erano tre fratelli tutti sposati e con figli. Non ricordo i loro nomi di battesimo.
Più tardi uno dei fratelli ci portò su a Capracotta nella casa della signora Pia Jaselli. La signora Jaselli, dopo aver ascoltato i nostri progetti suggerì di rimanere in zona e di aspettare le nostre truppe che, allora, stavano risalendo rapidamente l'Italia. Dopo aver camminato su e giù per le montagne dell'Italia per tutta la settimana pensammo davvero che questa fosse una buona idea.
Nel pomeriggio tornammo presso la casa dei fratelli Fiadino e ci passammo la notte. Il giorno dopo ci portarono nella boscaglia dietro la loro casa. Dopo circa un'ora di cammino arrivammo ad una chiesa costruita sul fianco di un precipizio. Mi sembra che fosse chiamata la chiesa di San Luca. Dietro la chiesa, sempre ricavati nella roccia a strapiombo c'erano degli ambienti molto primitivi. Appena sotto era stata costruita un'altra chiesa in blocchi di cemento e nella vallata al di sotto si poteva vedere un paese. Credo fosse il paese di Sant'Angelo.
Eravamo di notte in quei piccoli ambienti dietro la chiesa mentre di giorno generalmente esploravamo la boscaglia per orientarci.
Facevamo visita a Sant'Angelo per tenere sotto controllo gli spostamenti dei tedeschi in quella zona e due volte a settimana andavamo dalla signora Jaselli per le notizie e le provviste. Lì ho conosciuto alcuni degli amici della signora Jaselli, uno dei quali era un insegnante.
Due del nostro gruppo decisero di stare nella casa dei fratelli Fiadino per lavorare nella loro masseria. Alcuni giorni più tardi uno dei fratelli Fiadino venne fin sulla chiesa di San Luca per dirci che eravamo stati denunciati ai tedeschi da qualcuno a Sant'Angelo. Mettemmo insieme le poche cose che avevamo e andammo con lui fino ad un casotto in pietra usato dai pastori sul pendio della montagna sopra la casa dei Fiadino. Durante il giorno andammo nella boscaglia e all'imbrunire le Donne dei Fiadino ci portarono un pasto caldo che è stata la cosa migliore che avessi mai assaggiato. Non so esprimere la nostra gratitudine per il cibo che queste donne ci davano.
Dopo alcuni giorni nella nostra nuova posizione tornai alla chiesa per dare un'occhiata. Lì dove eravamo stati trovammo giornali tedeschi che dimostravano che una pattuglia tedesca era stata mandata per trovarci.
Da questo momento in poi vedemmo aumentare l'attività dei Tedeschi che cominciavano ad essere in numero sempre maggiore nella zona. Fortunatamente potevamo ancora andare dalla signora Jaselli che ci teneva informati sull'avanzata delle forze alleate e che ci dava anche da mangiare. Si facevano saltare in aria i cunicoli e veniva posizionata della contraerea leggera.
A questo punto si decise che sarebbe stato più sicuro per tutti se i due compagni che lavoravano presso la masseria dei Fiadino si fossero riuniti a noi. Ciò fu fatto e da quel momento fino a quando fummo ricatturati le Donne dei Fiadino ci diedero un pasto caldo ogni sera.
Una sera all'imbrunire andai a Capracotta e come al solito feci visita alla signora Jaselli sotto la cui casa c'era un garage. Una porta conduceva dal garage fino alla casa e questa era la strada che normalmente facevamo quando andavamo là. Nell'arrivare, trovai la signora Jaselli che aspettava sulla porta del garage. Mi disse che i Tedeschi avevano occupato il paese e che aveva gli ufficiali tedeschi alloggiati in casa sua. Questa fu l'ultima volta che andammo liberamente a casa sua. Comunque ci mandò ancora cibo e sigari che le erano dati dai Tedeschi.
Tornando al casotto dei pastori avvertii il resto del gruppo e dissi loro di essere molto attenti a non farsi vedere di giorno dai Tedeschi o dai simpatizzanti Fascisti. Durante il giorno andavamo su nella boscaglia ed avevamo un occhio attento alla strada lungo la quale ora si muovevano i Tedeschi.
Le nostre truppe si avvicinavano sempre di più ed ora potevamo sentire i bombardamenti.
Un pomeriggio mentre eravamo nella boscaglia uno dei fratelli Fiadino portò alcuni soldati alleati, un aviatore americano ed anche una guida siciliana. Questa guida era uno zoppo ed aveva il "piede equino". Ci fu detto che questa guida stava conducendo l'altro gruppo dalle truppe alleate attraverso le linee tedesche. A questo punto non avevamo alcuna ragione di sospettare e così ci accordammo che dopo che avesse portato questo gruppo in salvo sarebbe tornato indietro per noi e ci avrebbe portati oltre le linee tedesche per il compenso di 10 lire ciascuno. Stettero con noi nel casotto quella notte e partirono verso le linee tedesche, ad Agnone, il giorno dopo. Tutto ciò che potevamo fare ora era aspettare.
Come al solito, due o tre notti dopo, scendemmo per il nostro pasto caldo e poi tornammo nel nostro casotto per la notte. Ci addormentammo verso le 8 perché non potendo avere una luce o il fuoco ci coricammo appena si fece scuro.
Fummo svegliati da alcuni colpi che furono sparati nel casotto e non potemmo fare altro che uscire dalla porta perché il casotto aveva solo una porta e nessuna finestra. All'esterno c'era una pattuglia di Tedeschi e con loro uno dei fratelli Fiadino. Più tardi scoprimmo che il siciliano zoppo aveva portato la pattuglia tedesca alla casa dei Fiadino e i Tedeschi avevano costretto uno dei fratelli a portarli al nostro nascondiglio. Sembra che questo zoppo fosse pagato dai Tedeschi per raccogliere gruppi di prigionieri di guerra. Si spacciava per una guida e portava i gruppi di prigionieri dai Tedeschi.
I tre fratelli Fiadino furono trattati brutalmente dai Tedeschi e portati con noi a Capracotta al Comando Tedesco che era nella casa della signora Jaselli. Fummo tenuti per il resto della notte in questa casa dai Tedeschi. Il mattino seguente fummo caricati su un camion tedesco e scaricati poi sul ciglio di una strada. Il più anziano dei Fiadino fu un po' lento nello scendere dal camion e così un Tedesco gli diede una spinta mandandolo oltre il bordo della strada su una scarpata. L'Italiano riuscì a mantenersi in equilibrio e continuò a correre sebbene i tedeschi gli spararono con qualsiasi cosa avessero, ma lui riuscì a scappare e dopo avemmo notizia che era riuscito a mettersi in salvo.
Gli altri fratelli Fiadino furono separati da noi che fummo rinchiusi in un altro edificio dove trovammo l'altro gruppo che ci aveva lasciati accompagnati dallo zoppo.
Da qui fummo mandati nelle prigioni di guerra di Chieti e L'Aquila. Poi fummo messi su un treno diretto in Germania attraverso il Brennero ad un Campo di Prigionia a Moosburg Stalag 7A l'otto novembre 1943.
Per caso, successivamente, sapemmo che i due fratelli Fiadino rimasti prigionieri dei Tedeschi furono processati e fucilati.

Francis "Bill" Parker

(trad. di Fernando Di Nucci)